Welcome to Episode #5 of Exits From the Top, which covers how to use organizational sustainability planning as an executive succession planning tool. A tool to add to your exit strategy to ensure that your nonprofit thrives after CEO succession.
What’s covered in this episode:
- 6 building blocks of sustainability
- 5 steps to a more sustainable future
- Key sustainability questions to ask
- Resources to help assess and plan
When this episode airs it will be early 2015. Perhaps you created a New Year’s resolution for yourself to start planning your exit strategy from your current role. What we’re going to cover will go a long way to helping you fulfill that resolution.
For many executives it can be a challenge to figure out how to start preparing your organization for your eventual transition out of the CEO role. And it’s especially challenging if you aren’t ready to disclose your departure plans to your board of directors or your staff team just yet. We’re going to talk about two simple succession planning tools that not only will help you get the planning process started, but will help you begin to build the transition competency of your board and your senior management team. AND do it in a way that doesn’t force you to disclose your departure timetable. In fact, you can put these tools in place without even having a specific departure date in mind.
A lot of what we will be talking about today is focused on two planning documents that will be useful for you to have at hand as you watch or listen to this episode. You can grab copies of those documents – for free – by clicking on the “Guide and Templates” found later on this page.
Watch the Video
Organizational Sustainability Planning Resources
- Building Program Strength by Building Upon Assets by Hildy Gottlieb, Create The Future
- The Sustainability Formula by TCC Group
- Building Your Bench Strength Without Breaking the Bank by Kirk Kramer, BridgeSpan
- The Sustainability Mindset by Steve Zimmerman & Jeanne Bell
- The Nonprofit Strategy Revolution: Real-Time Strategic Planning in a Rapid Response World by David La Piana
- The Nonprofit Business Plan: the Leader’s Guide to Creating a Successful Business Model by David La Piana
- Organizational Assessment Tool: CCAT Organizational Assessment Tool
Read the Transcript
Click here to download a transcript of the interview.
Also, be sure to check out this episode on the essentials of succession planning.
Ask a Question
Feel free to ask a question by clicking here.
Please use the links below to share this episode with colleagues via email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.