Welcome to Episode #9 of Exits From The Top. We willl be talking with Tom Adams of Raffa, PC in Washington, DC about how a departing executive can help pave the way for their successor to thrive in the role. We explore what a departing executive can do before, during and after a leadership transition to help ensure that their successor succeeds.
This is one wisdom-packed interview. Here are just a few highlights:
- The importance of the departing executive gaining clarity about their departure.
- The window of opportunity for organizational sustainability planning ahead of the transition.
- The roles that leadership, strategy, business model, resources and culture play in organizational sustainability.
- The importance of looking at the organization’s bench strength and how to do it.
- The fact that leadership succession sometimes requires us to have courageous conversations.
- The impact of executive sabbaticals.
- The importance of getting beyond the hero model of leadership.
- Striking a balance between encouraging leadership around you to step up, but still staying engaged.
Watch the Video
Tom is one of the foremost thought leaders on nonprofit leadership succession and transition. In addition to several decades of direct experience leading CEO transition projects, Tom spearheaded two national research and development projects on nonprofit leadership transitions. First, in the 1990s a project funded by the Kellogg Foundation, and in the early 2000s, a project supported by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. The Casey project resulted in a number of research reports and a series of monographs on leadership transitions (links below).
Through these projects Tom has had a central role in training a generation of transition and succession consultants. He is the author of The Nonprofit Leadership Transition and Development Guide: Proven Paths for Leaders and Organizations, which was published by Jossey Bass. He has also authored a number of articles published in the Nonprofit Quarterly, the Stanford Social Innovation Review, and other publications.
None of us are here forever. How do we make sure that our important mission work is going to be sustained over time?
- TransitionGuides Sustainability Model (PDF)
- Tom’s Bio
- Next Steps Workshop a two-day event for founders and long-term executives who plan to leave their position
- Raffa, PC Executive Search, Leadership Succession & Sustainability Planning Services
Download the Transcript
No need to take notes. Get the complete transcript here, for free.
Ask a Question
Feel free to ask a question by clicking here.
Please feel free to use the links below to share this episode with colleagues via email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.